Sunday, July 27, 2008

New England Danskin Triathlon





My friends Anne and Paige and I just finished our first triathlon! We had a blast! I finished in 1:45. The swim was awesome, I was in the top 20 % with a time of 11 minutes. I was really worried about doing this because I‘ve been sick since 7/3, and wasn’t able to talk or do anything physical for 2 weeks. I was even waking up in the middle of the night needing to use an inhaler-it was awful and I thought I might have to scratch. Plus, I had just got a used older Trek road bike from a friend right before I got sick, and had only ridden a wicked easy dial shifting mountain bike, so I missed a lot of time being able to practice and learning how to shift the gears on the road bike. Even last Thursday when I went swimming, I could only go for 10 minutes and had to breathe every 2 strokes instead of my normal 4 strokes before I started to wheeze and had to stop. So I was most worried about the bike since I hadn’t been able to practice or go for long rides-I know I was being watched over-the bike was the easiest-I felt so comfortable and found the gears most of the time, and even hit 30 miles an hour going down some hills-(love my computer that tells me such things!)I thought I’d need to coast the hills and just take it easy, but I was passing everybody and felt really strong, which I haven’t felt in a month. I had to go a bit slower on the run, it took me 33 minutes, but I could feel a cramp in my side starting and so I walked a bit here and there to keep it at bay…overall I am so happy, I had been hoping to do it in 2 hours before I got sick, and even the day before I thought I’d be lucky just to finish. Plus it was really nice to raise money and do it for a good cause, in this case the Breast Cancer Research Foundation. Paige and I found another one to do on September 14th-we are hooked!

No comments: