Tuesday, September 23, 2008

My tropical garden



My backyard jungle continues to grow...Thank you Honey for taking me to Logee's Greenhouse for my birthday! I added 2 more Musa bajoo bananas to the one I planted last year-right now each one has 3-6 baby banana trees growing around it! Two are taller than I am. I WILL have my own banana patch! Inedible, yes, but it's worth it for my own tropics in New England kind of feel. I planted 5 medium-sized colocasias and 1 Colocasia gigantea that truly lived up to its name! Not bad for its first season. Ethan likes to play hide-and-seek with the huge leaves. After a hard frost, the bananas will all be chopped down to 1 foot and mulched 3 feet high and 3 feet wide with hay. The colocasias will all be dug up, and the tubers stored in the basement for the winter.

No comments: