Sunday, May 17, 2009

Fourth Annual 90 Bird Day at Pomfret Audubon Center

Friday I joined about 10 other people for a 9 hour birding expedition, the goal of which was to see 90 different species of birds. We came close and saw 82. Ethan had a fun day at the McReynolds while I did this-thank you Kim!!! It was great fun and I can't wait to do it next year. We carpooled to different areas of Pomfret, Hampton, and Eastford and stopped at many locations to see different bird species. We called in a Red-shouldered Hawk and a Pileated Woodpecker who both came in right over our heads. We also called in a Yellow-billed Cuckoo who didn't want to leave once he came over to see us. He stayed right over our heads while we tried to get other birds to come in. My favorite was the Chestnut-sided Warbler, he came to check us out and found a bush about 4 feet away from us to have a better look.
My ibird Pro was great to have along, I used it all day long! Here are some great photos taken by John Schwarz of birdspix.com.
Chestnut-sided Warbler

Black-throated Blue Warbler

Blackburnian Warbler

Cerulean Warbler

No comments: