Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Bronx Zoo

This morning Ethan and I headed down with the Elliots for a much anticipated day trip to the Bronx Zoo. We were oh so grateful for a map of CT which allowed us to cleverly bypass delays on I-91 and for the DVD player installed in the van!

The first hint of trouble came several blocks from the zoo entrance, when we noticed huge trees uprooted and knocked down in the medians. Wow, looks like they had a big storm, we said. Wonder when that happened? Arriving at the ticket booth we discovered that the storm, packing 80 MPH winds, had come through the night before, and several parts of the zoo were closed from the damage. Basically, any exhibit featuring cool big animals, was closed. Except for the American Bison.

This is one of many downed trees in the African Plains exhibit...

So what did we see? Birds. Lots of birds. I didn't mind this, cuz hey-I work for whatbird! Except, a three year old boy has no interest in staying close by while his mom takes pictures of birds. Next time I go to this Zoo, I go alone. Here are some birds...





And here are some more birds...




The most fun Ethan had was playing in the bamboo and playing with some cones and caution tape with Anna.


Here are some pics of all the kids together...



It was, in the words of one of the Elliot boys, the dumbest zoo ever. However, being surrounded by New Yorkers did clue me in on the newest fashion trend: underwear with big bold letters across the butt, spelling out some word, then you layer see-through white pants or capris over them. What do you think? I bet I could pick up some Hot n Righteous undies at Seriouslysoblessed.com!

No comments: