Friday, January 23, 2009

My First Cedar Waxwing!



I was so excited to have spotted this bird in our maple tree while I was working at the computer this afternoon. I was going over an article I wrote for www.whatbird.com about different ways to identify birds, actually! This bird landed in our maple tree with his back to me, I thought it was a female cardinal due to color and crest, then I spotted the yellow on the tail and saw the red on the wings when he turned around. He hung out for several minutes then came over to the holly bushes right outside the window and started eating the berries. So fun to see him close up! I found this picture on Flicker to show you all what this bird looks like. The photographer is Eric Carr from Canada, he has some awesome pictures on his website. Check it out here.

2 comments:

Gone, long gone. said...

It's nice to see a bit of nature around your home, especially such a pretty bird. We get a few cardinals or bluejays around here, but other than that it's mostly crows and sparrows.

Crystal said...

Try a good quality seed mix, maybe niger seed and black sunflower seeds, and you might get some finches and other colorful birds. Good Luck!