Monday, March 9, 2009

Red Lentil Balls


Last weekend I met my friend Hilal at the Putnam Science Academy. She and her friends are organizing a cooking class and invited me to join them. Here are Ayesenur, Eman, Hanim, me, and Hilal. Today I learned how to make Red Lentil Balls, which is something I've had with them before and enjoyed. They were simple to make and I can't wait to try them on my own! Here is the recipe if you're curious...
RED LENTIL BALLS
Ingredients:
2 cups red lentils, rinsed
4 cups water
1 cup bulgar
1 onion, finely chopped(or green onion, used raw)
1 Tbs pepper paste
1 Tbs tomato paste
1 bunch parsley, finely chopped
Paprika, cumin, salt, pepper
1 head romaine lettuce, washed and separated
Lemon

1. Boil lentils and water, covered, till soft and lentils easily mash, 15-20 minutes. Turn off heat and add bulgar, mix well and leave covered till bulgar is soft.
2. Sauté onion in olive oil till soft, add pepper paste and tomato paste, add to lentil mixture.
3. Add chopped parsley, salt, pepper, and spices to taste.
4. Use your hands to form the mixture into oval shapes, place in lettuce leaves arranged on a plate. Sprinkle lemon juice over all.

No comments: