Sunday, March 15, 2009

Hooded Mergansers

Today my neighbor Rebecca emailed me that the mergansers had returned to her pond. She and Michelle live almost right behind us and have a TERRIFIC view overlooking a beaver pond. I hurried over to see what I could see. I love this time of year when the ducks return, because you know Spring is really here. The Mallards, Canada Geese, and Wood Ducks usually stick around, but I don't think the mergansers do. I was pretty happy to see the Hooded Mergansers, as that is a new bird for me and I can add it to my life list. They are fun to watch, they dive a lot and their crests can go all the way up or down, so on the male especially you can watch the white on the crest go from a narrow line to a large patch. Here is a picture of a pair taken by John Schwarz at birdpix. Besides the Canada Geese, Mallards, and Wood Ducks, the beaver was out and about swimming and diving! That was fun to see!

No comments: