Friday, March 27, 2009

More Ducks!

Last week I spotted two more species of ducks that I haven't seen before. The first was last Sunday morning, on Rebecca's pond as I drove to church. Ethan and I pulled over for a few minutes to have a better look. He likes to look through the binoculars after I am done! Anyways, there were a few Ring-necked Ducks. Here is a picture from John Schwarz of birdspix.com

The Ring-necked Duck does have a small chestnut ring around its neck, but you'd have to be pretty close to see it. The ring around its bill is a much more visible field mark.

Wednesday morning we were driving to Putnam to meet Nathan for lunch, and I turned down Joy Road to see what was on the pond across the street from the pond behind Sweet Evalina's. There were a few Common Goldeneyes out on the water. Here is a great photo taken by Christopher Taylor at kiwifoto.com.

Upon seeing that I parked my car and whipped out my binoculars they immediately did what every cool new duck I see does....they retreated to the far side of the pond as quickly as they could. Sometimes the ducks swim there, other times they take off and fly to the far side, unless they are a Canada Goose or Mallard, in which case they stay put or come closer. Its like they're saying "Hey! Look at me! I'm so common! You've seen me your whole life! Want a better look?"

No comments: